Traditional African people of the Sun- Ate Well as you can see from the photo. It was common place for our Ancestors to consume a Mediterranean type diet- very much like the Free Original people of East African- Leviticus diet that was written into the Mosaic Bible text or Halal Islamic traditions. There is also a common tradition of the bounty found in the coastal fishermen of African, Caribbean, and South American regions. There were many free Black people in the Americas before 1492, so not all Black people were enslaved, those that were, often only received the scraps from the enslaver's table or ate from a trough.
Through creativity and necessity, many of us made Succotash (Tuck and Stash) fatback stews, oxtails, pig feet & ears, hog head cheese, and tripe- not to mention chittlins- into gourmet delicacies. Unfortunately, Black people are still consuming these choices of foods in abundance and to their own detriment. If you are what you eat- then Slave food does foster a slave mentality- Garbage in-garbage out. We can give no honor to our Ancestors by modeling and following after the Maafa of suffering and scraping together that they were forced to endure. In consequence, many of our people, torn from their mother's breast, lost the mother wit and knowledge of the natural bounty of berries, roots, hunting, herbs and growing of our own foods for sustenance and healing. Our people have now become slaves to a system of Prescription drugs, surgeries, amputations and other "medi-sins." Now, with GMO's compromising the Fruits and Vegetables in the grocery stores, and Fast foods with all of the Cool-aid chemically processed, high fructose, adulterated white acid foods, also water and air pollution, we have fallen short of the glory of living as stewards of the land and water resources and growing our own fresh local foods, along with truly caring for the environment. We have also become more sedentary, which lessens the chances of detoxifying from the poisonous effects of these foods, while our Ancestors worked, walked for miles and sweated from sun-up to sundown in the hot sun. In consequence, Our people are now dying more in the US from stroke, High Blood pressure, Heart Attack, Diabetes and Cancers than anyone in the US. We are also dying more from the caustic effect of these foods MORE than homicide. We often go to the funerals of our loved ones, and often turn around during repass and serve our remaining families the same foods that killed our loved one. http://amen-parankh.blogspot.com/2013/07/electric-foods-how-can-eating-electric.html
The Leviticus diet called people to abstain from bloody meats, cats, rats and dogs, Swine, Catfish, and shellfish etc. As "A people perish from lack of knowledge" many families who adopted Christianity do not even believe in the necessity of following these Old Testament dietary laws. In many cases they will recite "Rise Peter Slay and Eat" as their anthem. Yet our bodies are "the temple of the Spirit" We are called to cultivate our Minds, Body and Souls to the highest levels. The New Testament also states:
Here are a variety of suggestions for dietary alternatives:
- Attitude is Altitude. Breathe Love, Life, Joy and positive energy into your foods as you select and prepare them. Just as mother's milk is poisoned from fear, anger, or depression etc., all life can sense this energy. As you then consequentially pass this into your loved ones, who are eating your meals. Ergo, be cautious of restaurants, and even food handlers- This is another reason why Growing your own foods- to send each leaf positive energy- as each plant gives energy back to you; and knowing your grower is so important. -And I might add, why we bless our foods with gratitude.
- RAW IS BEST! Eat more fresh locally grown vegetables, nuts, beans and fruits, over processed grains like wheat and corn flours,etc.. Or choose Whole, Multi and sprouted grain alternatives. Salads and Smoothies, including sprouted beans and sprouted grains have the highest levels of enzymes. Processed grains and devitalized flours and white rice will raise one's glucose levels.
- Remember, the taste that many crave from their favorite foods, is found in the many herbs and vegetables that are used to season meats and sauces and enhance flavor. Always start cooking your protein, beans and vegetable entrees with a base of finely chopped onions and garlic to lower blood pressure among many other advantages
- Avoid Fried and over cooked vegetables. Steam, lightly Boil, Bake or Roast Vegetables. Avoid too much Acrylamide. This is often found in the carcinogenic dark browning and toasting on foods
- Try using Coconut butters and Olive oils as an alternative to animal fats and margarine.
- When choosing protein, always remember that the strongest animals in the Natural world are Vegetarians! Elephants, Horses, Donkeys, Bulls, Buffalo, great Apes, etc... Only scavengers and carnivores eat other animals RAW. So they also don't pre-digest or cook their meats. The highest quantities of protein that is readily consumable and easily digestible is found in dark green leafy vegetables and dark skinned fruits, nuts, and beans.
- If you choose to eat animal flesh, eat it sparingly as a garnish rather than a main course. For best digestion, eat animal flesh with Vegetables rather than protein with Starches and complex Carbohydrates- Breads, pastas ect. (That's why eating Turkey with starches make you sleepy)
- Remember- " Don't cook a calf in it's mother's milk" - Cheese and eggs- don't go together, hamburgers with cheese, Pizzas with beef and cheese, Hamburger helper etc. will cancel proper digestion.
- Lower Sugar and complex Carbohydrate intake. Avoid High Fructose Corn Syrup, corn flours and corn starch often hidden in foods. Try Real Fruit Juices, Maple syrup, Stevia leaves, Honey or dried fruit as a sugar alternative.
- Lower Salt Content. Too much salt, like sugar is dehydrating and hard on the liver and kidneys. Try using Sea Salt sparingly. As an alternative.
- Dulse Seaweed can make supply salt and seasoning.
- Braggs Liquid Aminos – liquid aminos are SO much more than a soy sauce alternative! This flavorful sauce is awesome on steamed vegetables, used to season pan-fried tofu or tempeh, or in all kinds of sauces. A ½ tsp serving contains just 160 mg of sodium and has 16 essential and non-essential amino acids.
- Kelp Granules – this sea vegetable is a great source of calcium, magnesium, B vitamins, iodine, and a number of other vitamins/minerals.
- Nutritional Yeast – Nutritional yeast has a rich, savory, “cheesy” flavor that makes is a great salt substitute. It is an excellent addition to creamy sauces, sprinkled over popcorn, or added to rice or quinoa (learn more about the health benefits here!) Nutritional yeast is sold at many health food stores, and is also widely available online.
- Herbs and Spices – season your meals with the right combination of herbs and spices and you won’t even miss the salt! The possibilities are endless, but a few favorites include basil, cumin, dill, garlic, ginger, oregano, rosemary, and thyme.
- Avoid eating after Sunset. People of the Sun with active Pineal glands switch from making and distributing Serotonin in the day, to Melatonin at night. So, our stomachs need to fast so that blood energy can properly be used for healing and nurturing other vital body organs.
- Remember that most of the "foods" in the grocery stores are Clones and GMO replicas of what we once knew as food. They come to local food warehouses (grocers) from long distances and cold, gassed irradiated storage conditions.
- That is why We Should GROW OUR OWN FOODS! In order to Free Ourselves We must Feed Ourselves! If you live in an Apartment or don't think you have the energy or time to attend a garden for your family, Grow your own Container garden of fresh herbs. You can grow indoors often right at your window sill. This is the best way to get vital nutrients directly into your prepared foods.
- Learn basic CPR and the Heimlich Maneuver. for potential heart attacks and choking at family events. Check with our elders during bathroom times. Most Heart Attacks occur during bathroom times, from too hot/ too cold water to straining on the toilet. Remember, it often takes up to an extra 10 minutes or more, after the 911 call for an ambulance or paramedic to arrive in African American neighborhood.
The information on this blog has been put together for general information, education, reference, Spirituality, Current Events and Entertainment purposes only and is not intended to provide medical advice. This information has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration, or the American Medical Association and is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any specific conditions. Ask your doctor for his professional advice before making radical changes in your diet and lifestyle.
I would like to encourage readers to watch Soul Food Junkie-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGKcMvG45tY -I would also like to add a final note that not only is death winning over abundant and healthy lives for our families, many of our loved ones are not only leaving this world prematurely, with High Blood Pressure, Heart attacks and strokes Cancers etc.- But because of their food choices, they also live or shall I say subsist with obesity, Blindness, Amputations, crippling Arthritis, Cancers, colostomy bags and are pumped so full of drugs that they become a hardship to their families and society. I am neither a Doctor nor part of the American Medical Association; I am a Teacher, Mother, Daughter, and Grandmother who is working on my own health and wellness journey. It is my ministry to teach our youth to live in a green sustainable way. We eat what we grow and rarely go to the grocery store. We have established the Amen Ankh Academy and Urban Children's teaching farm. I feed students who come by my door. Instead of grass growing in our front yard, we have fresh herbs growing in the front yard this summer. Many youth have never eaten a mango, an avocado, or even green peppers, or a home grown tomato. Most eat starchy school lunches and Fast Foods when they get home. Moms often do not have time to make a home cooked meal. I had children tell me that they didn't know that you could grow food in the ground! Now, these children can identify herbs, eat plantain greens, and drink peppermint tea with Stevia leaves as a sweetener!